Vacancy: Regional Communications Officer
Asia Justice and Rights (AJAR) is a non-profit organisation based in Jakarta, Indonesia, working to strengthen accountability and respect for human rights in the Asia Pacific region. AJAR focuses its work in countries attempting to build a stable democratic base following prolonged conflict, dictatorships, and authoritarian regimes. AJAR believes that peace and democracy can only be sustained if impunity, corruption, and human rights violations are addressed. We seek to empower national and regional partners seeking to end impunity, establish a base of accountability, and defend human rights by providing them with opportunities to increase their skills and knowledge, strengthening the organisations they work in, and helping them to access the resources they need for their work.
We do this through trainings and workshops using innovative methodologies; learning exchanges with a particular focus on South-South sharing of lessons and experiences; technical assistance provided by international and regional experts in the field of transitional justice, human rights, legal aid, gender justice, and institutional strategic planning; research and advocacy drawing on participatory methods and social media tools; and strengthening and supporting local partner organisations, including long-term strategic partnerships.
A key component to achieving AJAR’s goals is the development and implementation of a strong communications strategy that can increase AJAR’s ability to amplify the voices of survivors, increase opportunities for south-south learning, build broad public awareness of human rights issues, and support program teams’ communications and advocacy efforts. This year, AJAR is undergoing a process to update its communications tools and resources. As we use AJAR’s website as our central hub, we are seeking to revamp our website to increase access to our materials, increase our readership, ramp up our acquisition efforts (both donations and new supporter signup), and ultimately increase our impact as an organisation
AJAR is currently seeking a Regional Communications Officer who will drive AJAR’s communications strategy and ensure the production, quality, and reach of both AJAR’s print and online products.
Position title: Regional Communications Officer
Location: Jakarta or Bali, Indonesia
Supervisor: AJAR’s Executive Director
Starting date: Mid-May 2019
Tasks include, but are not limited to, the following:
- In consultation with AJAR teams, continue solidifying and executing AJAR’s communications strategy, ensuring alignment with AJAR’s overall vision and programmatic needs;
- With the support of programme and Learning Unit teams, develop promotional and engagement plans for AJAR’s activities and communications products;
- Finalise and socialise AJAR’s brand guidelines to the rest of the organisation;
- Manage AJAR’s digital platforms, including social media and website, internal photo database, and Customer Relationship Management (CRM);
- Working with an external website developer and in consultation with AJAR staff, continue redesigning AJAR’s website with an online museum component;
- Execute digital campaigns and promotions, including mass emails, as well as fundraising appeals, ensuring integration with programmes and offline activities;
- Measure and analyse digital data and present them to AJAR’s teams;
- Manage the drafting, editing, copyediting, translating, designing, proofreading, and printing of AJAR’s print publications and collaterals;
- Develop messages and create content that cater to AJAR’s specific audience groups; and
- Assist in any other aspects of AJAR’s work as required.
- Indonesian national with excellent writing and verbal command of English;
- A bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, international relations, human rights, and/or conflict transformation;
- At least two years of professional communications experience;
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively (with staff, volunteers, and external contractors), across cultures and geographical distances;
- Project management skills (ability to liaise with external contractors, negotiate prices, set timelines, monitor quality of communications products, and meet tight deadlines);
- Experience in CRM, WordPress, grassroots fundraising, graphic design, website development, and multimedia skills are highly regarded; and
- Willingness and ability to travel.
Please send your letter of intent (including starting date), résumé, and English writing sample (an essay excerpt, blog article, etc. of no more than 3 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 23 April 2019.